Music Performance - BTEC Extended Certificate
If you enjoy performing live, contemporary music as part of a band, this could be for you. It is a very practical course and some students may choose this course as a creative outlet alongside their A Level studies.
This course can be taken over one or two years. For the first year you will study 3 units leading to a BTEC Level 3 Certificate in Music. If you choose to continue with the subject and complete the second year, you will study a further 3 units leading to the BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Music, which is equivalent to 1 A Level.
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C including English
- Please click here to see grades conversions in line with the new grading system.
- You also need to have a good level of ability in at least one musical instrument or voice, at grade 4/5 or equivalent
- You will be required to undertake an audition to gain a place on the course
What will I study?
- 1 A-Level
- Pearson Education Ltd
- The first year includes a practical performance unit which includes a performance at a public venue at the end of each term. You will also study the music industry and the development of pop music.
- The second year focuses primarily on rehearsal and performance. As well as developing as a musician you will study traditional genres, including Jazz and Blues, and perform improvised pieces.
Where does it lead?
This vocational qualification is suitable for anyone considering a career in the music industry and students who have completed the course have a variety of options. Some students may choose to progress on to music degrees whilst other may choose to seek employment in the industry. The course can also count towards your UCAS points for acceptance onto non-music degree courses, but this does depend on which institution or degree you are planning to study, so it is worthwhile checking specific course entry requirements.