Applied Science - BTEC Extended Diploma
The BTEC structure has changed now and there is a requirement for students to complete a mixture internally assessed assignments and also externally assessed examinations. Here at Cadbury there are three routes to choose from:
- The Diploma (equivalent to 2 A Levels)
- The Extended Diploma (equivalent to 3 A Levels)
Your choice should depend upon your interest in applied science as a subject area and your career aspirations.
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C including Maths, English and 2 x Science.
- Please click here to see grades conversions in line with the new grading system.
- Desired G-Score 5.00
What will I study?
- 3 A-Levels
- Pearson Education Ltd
- Unit 1 – Principles & Applications of Science
- Unit 2 – Practical Scientific Techniques
- Unit 3 – Scientific Investigation Skills
- Unit 4 – Laboratory Techniques and their applications in Industry
- Unit 5 – Principles & Applications of Science 2
- Unit 6 –Vocational research project
- Unit 7 – Contemporary issues in Science
To complete the award we will be selecting from the Optional units. 6 optional units are needed for the Extended Diploma. The optional units have to come from specific groups. It is highly likely we will be offering either the specific Biomedical Pathway with units such as these:
- Unit 8 – Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Unit 9 – Human Regulation and Reproduction
- Unit 10 – Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways
- Unit 11 – Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Unit 12 – Diseases and Infections
Where does it lead?
Many more universities are now accepting Level 3 BTEC qualifications as part of their entry requirements. The courses vary from university to university, but include: Biology degrees [Biotechnology, Microbiology, Genetics, Botany, Zoology etc.], Nursing, Midwifery, Biochemistry, Forensic Science and Pharmaceutical Science.
Alternatively, the course supports progression into employment working as a technician or in a laboratory. Examples includes working in a quality control laboratory; an industrial manufacturing laboratory; hospital laboratory; materials testing laboratory; materials testing laboratory in the construction, paper or plastic industry; laboratory in a school, college or university; or an environmental science laboratory