Applied Science - BTEC Extended Certificate
This course provides a practical, real-world approach to learning and develop specific knowledge and skills students need to work successfully in the applied science industry,
The course covers a broad range of topics within the subjects Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
The course is predominantly assessed by coursework and each unit requires students to complete several assignments based around "real-life" scenarios.
The course is assessed through the marking of assignments, which are worked on both inside and outside of the classroom. Students are awarded a pass, merit or distinction for each assignment.
- A minimum of four GCSEs at grade 3 including English, Maths and 2 Sciences.
- Please click here to see grades conversions in line with the new grading system.
What will I study?
- 4 GCSEs
- Pearson Education Ltd
There are 8 mandatory units:
- Unit 1: Principles of Science
- Unit 2: Chemistry and Our Earth
- Unit 3: Energy and Our Universe
- Unit 4: Biology and Our Universe
- Unit 5: Applications of Chemical Substances
- Unit 6: Applications of Physical Science
- Unit 7: Health Applications of Life Science
- Unit 8: Scientific Skills
There are 4 additional units to complete with a range of Biology, Chemistry and Physics content
Where does it lead?
Students can progress from this qualification to the BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Applied Science or complete extended certificates or diplomas within the BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First suite. This course does not provide a suitable grounding for the study of science at A level.
Students can also progress to a range of BTEC Level 2 National qualifications in related areas such as Beauty Therapy Science, Health and Social Care, Sport and Exercise Science, Engineering, Construction, Land-based, Pharmacy Services or Dental Technology. Alternatively, they can progress to NVQs such as the Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities or Laboratory Science.
To apply for this course click here.