Business Studies encourages students to develop a critical understanding of organisations, the context in which they operate, the markets they serve and the process of adding value through a problem solving approach to study.
Throughout the course students will develop core knowledge, understanding and the skills to think independently. Students will learn how to analyse issues within business, showing an understanding of the impact on individuals and organisations of external and internal influences. By looking at qualitative and quantitative information they then have to make an informed judgement and propose evidence based solutions to these business activities.
A keen interest in keeping up to date with current affairs and a willingness to watch the news and read around the subject is a must!
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs (with 2 at grade B, and 3 at grade C) including English and Maths.
- Please click here to see grades conversions in line with the new grading system.
- Desired G-Score 5.5
- A keen interest in current affairs is essential.
What will I study?
- Examination - 80%
- Coursework - 20%
- Theme 1 – Marketing and people
- Entrepreneurs and leaders
- Managing people
- Meeting customer needs
- Theme 2 – Managing business activities
- Raising finance
- Resource management
- External influences
- Theme 3 – Global business
- Global markets and business expansion
- Global marketing
- Global industries and companies (multinational corporations)
- Theme 4 – Business decisions and strategy
- Business Objectives and strategy
- Business growth
- Decision making techniques
- Influences on business decisions
- Assessing competitiveness
- Managing change
Where does it lead?
Studying Business studies can enhance the employability of students. Many have gone on to university to study business, further specialising in a particular area. Other students are studying business at degree level in conjunction with another subject, e.g. Fashion and Business or Law and Business.
Some students have gained apprenticeships at large organisations, for example Ernst and Young, where they work and study in an Accounts and Business environment.
“I studied Business Studies with History and Media Studies at Cadbury College. I am now studying a degree in Business Management and Human Resource Management at Demontfort University.”